Friday, March 5, 2010

Bicycle Security

I have been locking my bike up in downtown Seattle for over a year now and never had any major issues. The worst "theft" I've had was my headlight - a cheap Planet Bike clip-on headlight.

That being said, I have been wondering what is the right combination of lock/chain for touring across Europe? It seems like pretty much every site has a different suggestion. An awful lot suggest a simple cable lock, but considering some of the locations we will be staying in, that seems insufficient.

Long story short, I have decided to buy a new Kryptonite U-Lock (I already have one, but it's well loved and sticks sometimes) that is long enough to lock up two bikes if it has to. I am also going to bring my Kryptonite cable so I can lock up my front wheel too. It's going to be some extra weight, but I can't imagine what we would do if a bike got stolen.

I'm not sure what Mitchel is bringing, but I figured more security is a good thing. I've included links to the products I referenced. And no.. I don't get any money if you click. ;)

Kryptonite New York U-Lock

Kryptonite Cable

No comments:

Post a Comment