Sunday, May 2, 2010

Copenhagen: Day One

Off to Copenhagen. Thankfully, the FlyBus took my bike in its box with no issues.  Keflavik is a very cute airport.  Like so many things in Iceland, it is efficient and well thought out.

Made it to Copenhagen on time, thanks Icelandair.  Also, all my bags and my bike arrived fairly unscathed. I assembled my bike in the airport while waiting for Mitchel. It went pretty easy.  Definitely no complaints.  I mean, I wish the bike box could have been smaller, but that's ok.  I was a little worried about what to do with the box once Beyonce was assembled, but an airport worker just dragged it off.

Oh yes, for those that don't know, my bike is named Beyonce.

Mitchel arrived on time as well, but his connection in Chicago weas tight and he thought maybe his bag and bike wouldn't make the flight.  He spent probably an hour running around trying to confirm that his bags didn't make the flight.

He was right.

We waited and waited in the airport, but nothing.  So finally we headed out of the airport to the hostel. Copenhagen is the land of bikes.  If Copenhagen is like this, I can't even imagine what Amsterdam is like. Bikes everywhere, they have their own little road between the sidewalk and the street.  Very impressive.  Lots of junky bikes, but nearly everyone bikes.  Certainly, there is nothing like this in any US city I have been to.  About the closest I have seen is Portland, and still they pale in comparison.  The rate of helmet wearing between Copenhagen and Portland is about the same:  ZERO.  I would love to see injury/fatality statistics. 

We checked in - somehow Mitchel is able to navigate a foreign city, with just a tourist map, as if he's a local.  It's impressive.  The hostel was very much a European hostel as anyone would imagine.  But it's ok, just one night. Hopefully.  If Mitchel's bags don't make it, we will have to stay another night.

We had dinner and walked around. Stuff in Copenhagen is expensive, but not too different than Seattle. Had some shawarma, was tasty.  So far, Copenhagen isn't too impressive, just a bunch of old buildings, not a lot of charm.

After dinner, we went back to the hostel and pulled ourselves together.  We went out and checked out a few bars, nothing too impressive.  Especially since they smoke in bars here, a lot.  Gross.  Apparently it's illegal, but they don't care.  It was fun anyway.  We met a couple Danish homos, Peter and Kim.

Was a good night overall, even if we stunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment