Monday, October 26, 2009

Planning: Safety?

While looking up visa information on the U.S. Department of State website, I looked through their Safety & Security section for each country as well. Naturally I have very little concern about countries like Norway, Denmark, Germany, Austria, etc. Countries like the Slovak Republic, Hungary, and Croatia did throw up some red flags so, naturally, I researched. Here's what I found:

Slovak Republic: Of the three countries in question, this was the one with the biggest red flag. The State department site simultaneously reinforced and allayed the concern. I don't think bike tourists have much to be concerned about, especially considering that we'll only be in the country for a short distance. I don't think there is really any risk as long as we're smart about storing our stuff and don't offend anyone.

Hungary: Hungary has its stuff together. We have very little to be concerned about. There is a group that targets minorities, including gays, but they are small and mostly just vocal. I might ask Mitch to leave his pink belt at home though :)

Croatia: Despite its history, Croatia actually sounds like a very stable and safe place. There is, however, one concern that will need a wee bit more research. There are areas (Eastern Slavonia, Brodsko-Posavska County, Karlovac County, areas around Zadar and in remote areas of the Plitvice Lakes National Park) where mines are still present in the ground. According to the State Department site, we should be fine as long as we avoid "well marked" areas. But I would like to research this more. I would love to see the Croatian coast by bicycle, but it's not THAT worth it. I'm not going to dive in too deep until Mitchel and I decide on a route, then we'll go from there.

Resources:
U.S. Department of State - Country Specific Information
Croatian Mine Action Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment