Friday, November 6, 2009

Planning (really) Begins

Now that our route is set from a country/big city perspective, we have to begin planning the actual bike route. For now, Mitchel and I have split up the planning by legs of the trip. Mitch is taking Copenhagen to Berlin and Vienna to Budapest. I am taking Prague to Vienna and Amsterdam to Paris.

In this first round of planning, we are pretty much just coming up with the bike route, estimated mileage and number of days. I think we're going to do some research on accommodations as well.

We've started purchasing books and maps to do the planning. There are so many online resources, both for maps and for finding books/maps. A couple I am looking at currently are CycleTourer, a great site with resources on bike touring all over the place (including maps and book info) and OmniMap, an online store with an impressive array of cycling maps.

More on books and maps later, I am sure.

5 comments:

  1. You are too cute with the blog. I expect plenty of shirtless pictures during the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who this "Mitch" is that you've invited along on the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philip... I am providing a service here. No "service" jokes... too easy. Oh, and shirtless pictures are unlikely, sorry.

    Mitch(el)... I am too tired for an appropriate comeback... I shall just refer to you as Mitzi henceforth. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi aryk, this is too fun. i did part of the prague-vienna greenways last summer & would be happy to talk to you/"mitch" about it, and/or send my maps, and give my advice on what & how to pack & other logistics.
    audrey (@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey! Nice to hear from you. I daresay that your trip is the inspiration for all of this. It would be really awesome to get your perspective, suggestions, maps, etc. The logistics are mind boggling, for sure.

    ReplyDelete