Thursday, November 19, 2009

Traveling with a Bike, part 1

In one of my original posts, I kvetched about the logistics of flying a bicycle overseas. I think I've found the solution(thanks to some cycling blogs).

Initially, I'd though that I would have to buy a bike box or bike bag and pack my bike, then repack the bike before flying home from Europe. What I was confused about was what to do with the bag or box (heavy plastic) while we were on the road - we aren't ending where we started, and we couldn't possibly carry them with us either. I had been thinking that we'd have to ship the boxes somewhere or something. You can see how that would be scary, right?

It turns out that "nearly all" cycling shops will pack your bike up into a cardboard box that can be checked for your flight. It's not free, but it sounds like it is a nominal price, and certainly cheaper than a plastic box and shipping fees.

That sounds like the way to go. I am sure I can find a place here in Seattle, but I will need to do a little research for a place in Paris. Maybe I will get to practice my french.

I'll also need to check with Icelandair's site for the box specs, so I don't get charged extra for "oversized." While I am on the topic, Icelandair is actually the cheapest I've found for flying a bike to Europe: $40 each way. And you get free stayovers in Reykjavik.

No comments:

Post a Comment