Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day Four: Iceland

Note:  Pictures coming later, some are posted to my Flickr

Today was the day!  A guided tour snorkelling in Silfra and cave diving in some of Iceland's many lava tubes. Very exciting. 

For those that don't know: Iceland is split into pieces, technically. And still splitting.  The North American plate and the Eurasian plates are drifting apart, and have left a rift valley through around half of Iceland.  And in that rift valley, there are a few really awesome things to see, but the awesomest of them all has to be Silfra. A chasm between 1-58 meters deep filled with crystal clear water. As if that wasn't beautiful enough, it is set in the impressive Þengvillir (theng-vell-eer).

The water is SLIGHTLY above freezing, around 2° celsius. So snorkeling in it for 45-60 minutes means that one must be adequately insulated.  I thought it would be a wet suit, but apparently it's too cold even for that.  Who knew?  So we wore dry suits over a thermal suit (think body-shaped sleeping bag).  Very sexy.

As you might have expected, I didn't bring an underwater camera. So, unfortunately, there aren't any pictures (taken by me) of Silfra, so I have included a picture from interwebs.  As well as some I took from the land. 

The whole experience was great, and new. I have snorkeled many times in a few very different places, but none of them were freezing arctic lava-filtered glacial water.  It tasted great, might I add. 

Caving was also great.  The caves were great too, though very similar to the lava tubes in Washington and Oregon.  One difference was the various shapes the lava made; large drips and drizzly shapes and stuff.  Even one section the ceiling was a field of 6-8cm lava drips. 

One thing for sure that differentiated it from the other lava tubes I have been in was the setting.  It was in a lava field that was covered in sage green moss, at the base of a volcano, and with several others nearby.  It was also exponentially far less visited.  There was virtually no sign that other people had been there.  I liked that.

What I didn't like was the ceiling getting so very low at several points.  I liked it, but I just didn't want to tear my new jacket.  Gay, I know.  But I need it and it was expensive.  I actually liked the challenge though.  maybe if I was in sensible attire.  :)

But who does that?  Remember when Abercrombie and Fitch was expedition wear?  Not that I would wear any of their stuff. 

Where was I?

Ahh yes.  The rest of the the evening was normal.  I had dinner, walked around a bit and came back to the hostel.

Oh, did I mention dinner was WHALE?!  I don't want to dwell on it.  But I will just say, it wasn't bad, like a fishy steak.  Yes, I feel a little guilty about it.  But I think it's because I was programmed to as a child.  Iceland's defence is that they do it in a documented, sustainable way and it is no different than any other controlled hunting.   Fair point. 

Tomorrow is a road trip day.  I had been planning on driving to Jokulsarlon (Glacier Lagoon) but I think I am gonna drive the Reykjanes Peninsula instead. We'll see how I feel in the morning, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment