Thursday, April 29, 2010

Iceland: Half as big, but way more awesome than Texas.

I had made the observation almost right away that nearly every brunette here had blonde roots.  And I joked with someone at the hostel that it was like "the opposite of Texas."  But the more I traveled around, the more this solidified for other reasons.  Here are a few:
  • Blonde is the predominant natural hair colour
  • 100% literacy rate
  • I haven't met a single person that isn't fluently bilingual, and many also speak a third or fourth
  • Breathtaking scenery, that isn't taken for granted and is protected
  • Iceland has gay marriage, a gay prime minister, and is VERY socially progressive
  • Iceland is a very green nation, they recycle, compost, and have all green energy
  • Functional public transportation
That's just a few off the top of my head.  Though, there are some ways Iceland is similar to Texas too:
  • Icelanders are very VERY proud of their country and their heritage
  • Icelandic is unintelligible without lots of studying, like the Texan drawl 
  • There are a lot of horses and other livestock, but mostly horses
  • They drive like crazy people and don't use their turn signals
  • There are vast expanses between towns
Anyway, just thought I would share.  Random silly ways my brain works. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment