Monday, April 26, 2010

Day Three: Iceland part 1

It was exactly 48 hours and 4 minutes (timezone adjusted) that it took me to get from Seattle to Reykjavik. Wow.

I definitely made the best of that time where ever I could, but there was a moment in the Glasgow airport where I wondered if I should just bag Iceland and hop on my bike to Ediburgh. Especially after they announced that my flight was delayed indefinitely.

Finally, around 11pm, they boarded the flight. Then we sat on the tarmac for almost an hour while they tried to round up passengers. It was a little annoying, but I appreciate Icelandair's reasons. And if I was one of those passengers, I would want that too.

The flight to Iceland was about 2 hours... and it was mostly uneventful. I was hoping that I would see the Aurora Borealis, but no luck. There was a moment I thought I did, but then realized it was just the sun coming up (at 1am) far to the north.

I could write an entire blog post about getting my bags, but I will just summarize it: Holy Fucking Shit! Because of the delays, Icelandair had three very full 757s flying to Akureryi, Iceland's 4th largest city.... of ~17k people. The airport was extremely tiny, and had one very small baggage claim area. Getting bags was a nightmare, and a very long ordeal. My bike box is so big, it was just ridiculous. Anyway, I don't want to dwell there. :)

I made it to Reykjavik. It was darkish for half of the 5.5 hour bus ride, but I still got to see some beautiful fjords and countryside.

I have so many adventures planned. I will try and keep up with blogging. Stay tuned for a post on driving up to the Snaefells peninsula and seeing Arnarstapi. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment